Down The Aisle...

A singluar focus on my life in Sydney. I was "single", then I became "engaged" and now I'm married - but thats another story...

Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Memory Lane At The RSL


I think if you were to ask someone whether they wanted to be stuck in a room for a few hours with a bunch of their exes and/or old crushes, they’d probably look at you as though you’d grown another head and announced you were running away to join the circus. You may be faced with a certain level of incomprehension, as you couldn’t possibly be suggesting that this might be a fun way to spend your Saturday evening!?! Ask someone whether they’d like to attend their high school reunion however and you get a bit more interest.

Admittedly, from my recent experience, there were those for whom a night like this would hold too much potential for heartache and embarrassment. For those of us who could laugh in the face of such adversity however (or who thought we looked a damn sight better now than we did then), it seemed the night might hold more potential for hilarity instead. And hilarious it was, at least in parts. Some of my peers had definitely proved the adage that you don’t get older, you get better. Some on the other hand, still couldn’t seem to find their own backside with both hands and a flashlight.

Fortunately I discovered that I hadn’t actually fancied myself infatuated with anyone that I wouldn’t admit to now (although who I would admit it to is another matter entirely). I think you’re probably supposed to have been head over heels for at least one embarrassingly unsuitable person while you were growing up but it seems I never quite got the hang of that. Over the years that have passed, I have gotten better at a few things however, and one of them is apparently talking to people. My partner in crime at the event seemed completely dumbfounded that I could now just approach people I was not ‘friends’ with in school.

Approach them I did though and I had to laugh as I informed a couple of guys that they actually had an adoring fan club full of girls at school ready to swoon at their feet. They of course had been oblivious to this at the time and I’m not entirely sure they believed me now but it was amusing. I talked with the people who as it turns out, only showed up to see who was fat. Oddly enough, I didn’t think that was amusing at all. I chatted with people who I wish I had been better friends with when I lived in the same city as them and I found out that perhaps I wasn’t quite the wallflower I always thought I was.

I now have it on good authority that I was actually 'kind of attractive' in high school, even with the braces. I should also point out here that I have it on the same authority that I am now ‘hot’ as well. I have a feeling that both comments were somewhat alcohol induced, coming as they did after much of the night and the consumption of what I’m sure was a variety of beverages, but I must admit, it stroked the ego nonetheless. So all in all it was a good night. You might say I got a little less out of it than my friend Charles but if I’m single by the time the next one comes around, you never know your luck in a big city.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home