Down The Aisle...

A singluar focus on my life in Sydney. I was "single", then I became "engaged" and now I'm married - but thats another story...

Thursday, March 26, 2009

Take II

Well here is one of my other attempts at the wedding speech. I have a feeling that this might be a little better heard rather than read but as I'm often told - I can't have everything I want right now. Pity.

"Hi Everyone. I know The Boy has already thanked you all for being here today but I would like to add my own thanks, especially since many of you knew that I’d want to say a few words tonight...its very touching that you still decided to come.

Ever since we got engaged, I have been thinking about this wedding. I didn’t actually plan any of it but I have been thinking about it just the same. I hoped that everything would go off smoothly on the day and that even the most insignificant of details would not be overlooked. I needn’t have worried however, his Best Man made sure he was there. But seriously though, I have never doubted The Boy. I have been both frustrated and confused by him but I have never actually doubted in his love for me, his faith in me or his hope for our future together. I am proud to be married to The Boy today and I thought, what better opportunity than now would I have to let him know how I feel?

When I sat down to write what I wanted to say however, I stopped. And sat. And waited for immediate genius to strike. Which it didn’t. Anyone who knows me well would probably attest to the fact that I normally have an abundance of things to say whenever I sit down to write anything but as I tried to formulate my thoughts about my new husband, nothing sounded quite right. It was either too sappy, too cheesy or not emotive enough at all and I may as well have been writing out a shopping list! So I thought I would look for inspiration elsewhere. I thought about things that were important to both of us and one of the first things that came to my mind was music.

Both The Boy and I are passionate about having music in our lives and indeed practicing it – with varying degrees of success I must add (there is a reason why I try not to sing or play in public any more). I know that there are songs that we both find quite emotionally powerful so I figured I couldn’t go wrong by looking to the many practitioners of melodic poetry out there for some suggestions and guidance. I searched through numerous albums and lists, looking for everything that seemed fitting for this occasion and then I pieced all of it together to form my message and this is what I came up with:

First time ever I saw your face, it must have been love. You are the sunshine of my life. You’re the one that I want. Only you. (Baby I’ve got you) on my mind. Can’t get you out of my head. You’re the first, the last, my everything. Simply irresistible. Unforgettable.
Have I told you lately, my funny valentine, nothing compares 2 U? You’re still the one. Time after time, I don’t wanna be with nobody but you.
For sentimental reasons, you go to my head. When I see you smile, when you say nothing at all, you raise me up.
Tonight I celebrate my love. We’ve only just begun. Every time we say goodbye, well be together again. Love will keep us together, never tear us apart. Now and forever, I’ll stand by you. I’ll be there for you, hopelessly devoted to you. You are not alone, this I promise you. I don’t want to miss a thing.
Everybody needs somebody to love “truly madly deeply”. I got you babe. Nothings gonna stop us now, its only the beginning. Our love is here to stay. Isn’t it romantic?
What a wonderful world!
Thats all.

But having written that, I’m not totally sure it conveys how much I admire and respect this man beside me or how much I am looking forward to the love we have for each other growing old with us as well. Maybe my best opportunity to let him know how I feel is in fact the rest of my life. And if that is the case, perhaps all I really need to say tonight is actually far simpler than I’d first imagined. With that in mind, I think that what I really want to say can best be summed up by the words of Nat King Cole: “Darling, je vous aime beaucoup. I love you, yes I do”.

So please join me now and raise your glasses in a toast to The Boy."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home