Down The Aisle...

A singluar focus on my life in Sydney. I was "single", then I became "engaged" and now I'm married - but thats another story...

Monday, March 30, 2009

Take III

Well I realised why I didn’t just want to give a ‘thankyou’ speech. I figured I’d take a shot at writing some expressions of gratitude without them being an all out thank you and ended up with something that I felt was too trite for me to actually use. Whilst the sentiments are all completely sincere, I don’t think I’d be comfortable standing up in a room full of people to say them. At least not with a steady voice. Oddly enough, The Boy felt that the below was something he could see me saying and not writing which was the completely opposite of what I felt. I’ve written it though and I wanted to post it but this is not really a winner for me. Apparently great minds don’t always think alike...

“Wow. What a day its been. So far today I have been poked, prodded, lectured and gawked at. I’ve gotten choked up, made other people cry and suffered for my art because there is no such thing as a full meal in this dress! But you know what? I wouldn’t have it any other way because it got me here tonight.

Now whereas I’m occasionally a sentimental person, I’m not normally a sappy person so I’ve been struggling a bit with what to say in my speech. The general consensus for what I’m supposed to cover however seems to be that at some point, I am to talk about what this day means to me and to include my personal thankyous. That seemed like a pretty good place to start which means I pretty much can’t avoid the sap at all.

I think the easiest way to sum up what this day actually means to me is the word “Family”. I have been independent now for a number of years but today, I guess you could say that I have placed one foot out the door from the family whose name I have shared for 29 years. Having said that though, I am conscious of not actually leaving behind everything that has lead up to this day but rather I carry with me all that my parents have taught me about being part of a family and caring for that family. Mum and Dad, you both always listened to me, encouraged me and supported me and I have never doubted for a second that you both love me and want whats best for my future. You built my sister and I a home not with wood and brick but with heart and soul and I know how lucky we are to have been given that. If I can do as much for my husband and any children as you have done for me, they will be blessed indeed.

As I have taken this further step of independence from my family however, I have joined another family who have already become a part of my life. Mother-in-law and Father-in-law, I would like to say to you both that I am honoured to become an official part of your family today because I know that all the traits I love in The Boy have come from both of you. Since I have slowly gotten to know The Boy’s family, I have felt nothing but welcomed by my Mother-in-law & Partner and my Father-in-law & Partner and indeed my sister-in-law (who came all the way from Mexico to be part of this occasion!), and then there are also the new cousins, aunts, uncles and grandparents. Each of them have given me a bit more insight into this man I now call my husband and I think The Boy and I both look forward to sharing our future with them. After the honeymoon.

And that stipulation goes for The Pussycat too, who kindly let me in on the fact many months ago that this wedding and everything to do with it was all about her. From where I am standing, you were so wrong girlfriend. But I do want to let you know that even though I used to tell mum and dad that I would have liked a brother, I wouldn't actually change having a sister for anything. Being sisters with you has been amazing, traumatic, and sometimes scary but definitely awesome because you’re one of my best friends. I have to warn you though, play nice with The Boy later or you’re both in trouble!

For the moment though, I think The Boy and I will just enjoy the new family we have committed to being today. Coming from our own separate families, together, we have started our own, whether that remain just the two of us or be with the addition of children in the future. But to all of you here tonight, know that with this new family of ours, we have a collective extended family that celebrates with us here today. Whether you be parents, in-laws, siblings, grandparents, god parents, aunts, uncles, cousins, dear friends or a mixture thereof you are all a member of our family and I thank you for coming here to share this day with us.

So please raise your glass with me and toast to families and the future.”

*Please note for those who are accessing this through the wedding site, I would not normally refer to my in-laws as Mother-in-law and Father-in-law etc. This has been done as my personal identity and those of my family and friends have always been kept anonymous on the original blogspot site.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home