Down The Aisle...

A singluar focus on my life in Sydney. I was "single", then I became "engaged" and now I'm married - but thats another story...

Friday, February 04, 2005

When It Rains It Pours

Today, outside your front door you will find a mildly sunny day around the mid twenties, interspersed with periods of black skies, high wind, damaging hail and torrential rain. Although I possibly exaggerated the torrential rain part, that statement would pretty much describe one of the days we had this week in Sydney. This wasn’t an entirely bad thing however, as I wasn’t out in it and we currently need all the rain we can get. It just goes to show though that when it rains it definitely pours.

Two of my friends can also sympathize with that sentiment at the moment as they are both single but have recently found themselves with a variety of options opening up before them. And indeed for one it would seem that there is a veritable smorgasbord of possibilities on the dessert platter of relationships at the moment. But even though it is also said that variety is the spice of life, sometimes it’s just a headache. Things don’t necessarily get easier just because there are more options.

Everyone is different. We all have our strengths and our weaknesses, not only in who we are but also in what we can offer. Our hearts and our heads may even go to war as we believe one choice to be the smarter and feel another to be the more fulfilling, at least in the short term. Being outside the situation I see my friends in, I have tried to play agony aunt and give them council when they ask but for the most part I feel largely unqualified. It has been interesting though to hear what others have had to say as I often find people come at things from completely different angles.

Through some of my observations though, I would have to say that life really is like a box of chocolates. To use it as a metaphor for relationships, if you’re the kind of person who wants to find the perfect one without looking at the guide and you nibble a bit of everything until you find it, you may get a rather bad taste in your mouth before you (eventually) find the right one. And if the right one doesn’t satisfy, all that might be left is a lot of half eaten bits of chocolate with fingerprints and slobber all over them. Oh, and you can be sure that you’ll never be offered a nice box of chocolates again by any of your friends.

Also, if you’re the kind of person who is really greedy and likes to take one chocolate after another and more than one at a time then you’ll probably end up with quite a belly ache. Likewise if your plate was full when you started and now you’re trying to cram one more thing in. So the moral of the story? Take the time to decide what you want, you’ll probably enjoy it more. Try to leave a good impression when you eat chocolates and don’t ask me for relationship advice you want to understand.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home