Down The Aisle...

A singluar focus on my life in Sydney. I was "single", then I became "engaged" and now I'm married - but thats another story...

Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Finding The Bon In Bombonierre

To gift or not to gift? Some people see it as tradition. A thankyou if you will to those people who have gone out of their way to spend the day with you and celebrate. Some people see it as a waste of money because you’ve most likely already shelled out a significant amount of cash to get them fed, entertained and drunk. Although depending on the wedding, not necessarily in that order. The boy and I are undecided at the moment. We’d like to but the cost can get a bit ridiculous if you get carried away. The money may be better spent as a bouquet, an upgraded wine package or perhaps another groomsman (or that was the equivalent expense of adding the additional member to the bridal party as one doesn’t normally buy groomsmen themselves). Doesn’t stop you from window shopping however.

So what is the perfect gift? I’ve seen fridge magnets with a picture of the bride and groom before, cds of the wedding music, rock candy with names or messages cooked (does one cook candy?) into the pieces and photo frames or ornaments containing an image of the happy couple. Whilst we were looking for options on the weekend, the boy saw one of those glass/crystal paperweight things with the 3D image lasered into the block. He suggested that we could find out how much it would cost for us to get our photo put into some as a gift. I suggested that the last thing our guests really want is our picture smiling back at them every day from some random cheap gift. There are plenty of different ideas out there though.

If you want to be really traditional then there is always sugared almonds although a lot of people choose to give chocolate in some sort of box or container now a days. I’ve seen people give rocky road too with the message that we all have rocky roads in our future but may they be as sweet as this one. Some people give small bottles of champagne and some engraved champagne flutes. I have been looking for some more unusual ideas however. I do rather like the idea of having goldfish on the table and giving them out to the guests at the end of the night. Weird, I know, I’m not exactly a kid anymore but there you go. The logistics of such an idea however might probably be too much for a wedding day. Something that might take effort before the day however could work. I have seen websites that can provide embroidered linen for a pretty penny, or small plants.

I’m not sure what I’d want to go for at the end of the day. Especially as it would not be totally my decision either. I must admit though that since most of our friends and relations that would be coming are married, I kind of like the idea of giving all the men a small toy ball and all the women some sort of chain. It was politely suggested however that there would quite likely be some people attending our wedding that might find the idea of the “ball and chain” somewhat offensive. Oh well. Back to the drawing board I guess.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home