Down The Aisle...

A singluar focus on my life in Sydney. I was "single", then I became "engaged" and now I'm married - but thats another story...

Thursday, October 09, 2008

Whats My Theme?

So what is your theme…?

Theme?? What theme? Why do I need a theme? I said yes, he says I do, so do I and then we all go and get drunk. It is the Australian way. Nobody said anything about a theme before I started this thing!

Ok so that sounds a little bogan and I’m not quite that ignorant. I have now seen enough bridal mags to know that every man and his dog feels they should wax poetic about the subject of themes at a wedding. All the experts in the industry believe with a conviction bordering on obsession that one needs to first envisage a theme that will help provide a cohesive experience on the day. A theme that is made up of all the minutiae possible in order to evoke the desired emotions from the guests and indeed also the bride and groom themselves.

They advocate such things as sitting down with your partner and outlining your likes, dislikes, desires and preferences in order to find where your ideas mesh and what common threads run through the majority of your list. That’s all very well unless you’re a bridezilla, in which case you don’t actually care what your partner thinks anyway, or you can’t really see a theme evolving unless you throw out one idea or another for the sake of the whole. Although maybe that comes back to the Bridezilla idea except that theres twice the force with a Groomzilla involved as well…?

As you can tell, I’m a little frustrated at the moment. And difficult. I don’t particularly want to pick a theme right now because whatever option seems close still does not feel quite right. Can’t I just have the theme Things I Like?? Unfortunately I have not been planning this day in my head since I was a little girl. I don’t know exactly what I want yet. How my wedding day actually pans out will not be the fulfilment of a long cherished dream harboured close to my heart but rather the culmination of rough ideas fused together over a couple of months. Maybe that can be my theme. Fusion. Combining the seemingly incongruous to form an aesthetically diverse day...

Sounds like a plan, no? It does have one major disadvantage however – it doesn’t make it any easier to choose a damn thing!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home