Down The Aisle...

A singluar focus on my life in Sydney. I was "single", then I became "engaged" and now I'm married - but thats another story...

Thursday, May 07, 2009

On Location

We had our engagement shoot last month. On the eve of our second anniversary, we got up early, made ourselves look pretty (or as pretty as was going to happen before 7am) and headed down the harbour to take advantage of the early morning light. As part of the photography package that we went for, we were entitled to an e-session as they are sometimes known in the business and the whole thing was rather easy and painless. But then you get that when you have someone with years of experience.

Photography is something that I personally have a passion for so I knew what I wanted when we started looking. Whilst The Boy is largely orchestrating this whole wedding affair, the photographer is one of the few aspects that I would definitely exercise my veto rights over if I didn’t like their portfolio or their service. I know what good photography is and what it is worth but even for someone on a budget, the choice of photographer would be one of those decisions for me that was not primarily about money and the best option I can get for what I have. My first consideration would be that of the talent and quality that I wanted. Then you figure out how to make it fit the budget. Which we did. And I think that what we are getting will be worth it, especially after the engagement session the other morning and after seeing the proofs that were available the following week.

The process of actually taking the photos didn’t take very long at all. We were down at the harbour for about a half hour or so I think and even then, a good portion of that was taken up with chatting to the photographer about his work and experience. We wandered around a small area taking shots against different backgrounds in different poses and circled back to where we started. The Boy and I were given minimal direction but when we couldn’t manage to keep a straight face and started laughing at each other our shadow behind the lens just went with the flow. Since wedding photography is in fact something that both my sister and I have toyed with doing professionally, it was interesting to see someone else at work. After spending some time with the Grand Master however (told you he was experienced), it became abundantly clear just how much further we really have to go. It would be quite demotivating if it wasn’t also inspiring.

My sister and I actually got to put ourselves to the test at the beginning of the month too. In exchange for experience, we offered up our time and skills to shoot the wedding of some family friends. We were there for almost the whole day from some preparations at the house to the end of the reception at the restaurant. Given our lack of experience, we were happy with what we ended up with and we think that we earned our dinner but we also found some glaring holes in our arsenal. I now have even more respect for photographers who shoot large group shots where everyone stands up straight and arm to arm like pegs in a row, photographers who shoot under pressure and have but minutes to take the “location” shots with the Bride and Groom who just want to get to the party, photographers who largely run out of available light but still manage to shoot to advantage and people who just see the world differently. Ahh to be that talented...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home