Down The Aisle...

A singluar focus on my life in Sydney. I was "single", then I became "engaged" and now I'm married - but thats another story...

Friday, May 15, 2009

Wedding Whoops?

I think I themed our wedding by accident. And I so didn’t mean to do that. As previously mentioned on this blog, I pretty much feel that the requirement of having a wedding theme is a bit of a wank, pardon my French. As neither The Boy nor I were particularly drawn by colours, styles, locations or otherwise specifically related elements, we therefore decided we were not going to have a theme. I actually do not have an issue at all with having a theme for a wedding but the having to have a theme really irritated me. Thus the not having one. But then we started advertising. And thats the way I think of it really.

Also as I mentioned previously, in regards to our Save The Date cards, we performed a shameless infringement of copyright and created an ad for our wedding as the date reminder. And we created a website. We (which is quite a royal sort of “we” really because The Boy did all the hard work) set up a webpage where people could get “pre-sale seating information” and actually reserve their seats too. All this actually amounted to was a return email that provided an e-ticket confirmation that the person in question would come to the free public event that is our wedding and sit in a non numbered pew if they so wished but we thought the idea was cute. Then it sort of evolved from there.

With all the details and effort that have gone into this day so far, I began to see the whole thing as a bit of a production really. We don’t exactly have a cast of thousands for the affair (which is fortunate because then the whole thing would have been a lot more complicated) but there has been a fair bit going on with the making of the outfits and investigating of options etc. A lot of behind the scenes work so to speak has been undertaken and I’m sure there will be some direction from the wings once the day arrives. We intend to delegate a few jobs at the wedding I think. Especially as we’re supposed to remain centre stage for pretty much the entire day. But right now, its time to get the actual invitations out there.

A while ago I was intrigued by the idea of giving a ticket as an invitation and we looked at sourcing actual tickets through Ticketmaster or the like or merely designing our own. We were having a few issues as to how best to accomplish this however because we needed to let people know about either the ceremony and the reception, or the ceremony only. Then we came up with a better idea. For the wedding ceremony, we designed a flyer announcing that for one show only, The Boy and I would be starring in “The Wedding”, a fantastic adaptation of the classic we all know and love. Brought to you by Working Man Productions as it were. We decided to send that out with a promotional letter about how long this production has been in the making and how brilliant its going to be. And for those to whom we have decided to extend an invitation to our reception – they get a backstage pass to the after party!

So its seems with my love of theatre that I have inadvertently themed my wedding to be experienced as a short run matinee followed by an opening night and closing night party all rolled into one. There will be costumes and choreography, props, music, rehearsed speeches, programs (theres no reason why your order of service can’t be much more interesting) and hopefully really awesome food and drink. I think I draw the line at merchandise because nobody I’m sure wants chocolates with our faces carved into them or other such nonsense but still, it seems the theatrical aspects of our wedding have taken on the personality of a drama queen rather than that of a wallflower and have asserted themselves as a united front which has resulted in a theme for the wedding. Oh well. At least I’m still the Prima Donna.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home