Down The Aisle...

A singluar focus on my life in Sydney. I was "single", then I became "engaged" and now I'm married - but thats another story...

Monday, December 20, 2004

The Need For Speed (Part One)

When I was thinking about what to post next, I thought it might be fitting to write about the evening I spent speed dating. This was actually a while ago and I did already write a rather long email to some friends about it at the time but I thought some of my thoughts then would fit here as well. Speed dating was after all, quite an interesting experience.

When I first heard about the phenomenon, I actually thought it was quite a cool idea. Bizarre, but cool. I figured it would be a good way to meet some new people (seeing as I was severely lacking in the social acquaintance department) and I wouldn’t be required to already know someone. Reading up on it a bit before I went, I had a vague idea of what to expect and I was intrigued by the testimonials of a few people who claimed to be total converts or addicted to the events. I can’t say that I became (or am now) either of those but depending on my situation, it is something I would consider doing again.

The night itself started for me at around 7:30 on a Monday in one of the city bars. Many of the events are actually held early to mid week as this seems to be more convenient for most people. It also makes it possible for you to strike while the iron is hot as it were and set up a date for the weekend if you hit it off with anyone. So anyway, I arrived at 7:30 and walked in feeling like a bit of an idiot because I’d never done anything like this before. I tried to look self-assured and very un-desperate and dateless as I scanned the bar looking for where I was supposed to be. Luckily for me, I was not the first to arrive and when I walked upstairs, there seemed a likely bunch of people who were sort of sitting together but obviously didn't really know each other. Then the host came up and assured me I was in the right place and gave me a drink.

So basically, when you first go to speed dating, you walk into the bar and find the most uncomfortable people there, sit down and start chatting to them. Sounds great huh? It is a good idea though. The "dates" themselves are supposed to start promptly at eight so if you arrive beforehand, you actually get some downtime practising your conversation technique before you get bashed over the head with everyone else’s. They ply you with free champagne, which might just possibly pry your mouth open more than any of your prospective partners could and this also gives you something to do if you'd rather not talk at all just yet. Providing Dutch courage for some (and possibly an anaesthetic for others), it lets you not look like a complete moron just staring at everybody.

There is the occasional nibbly to shove into your mouth as well but they don't really go very far so I wouldn't advise anyone to turn up hungry. Turning up with no food in your stomach does actually help the champagne give you a nice buzz which I can attest to, but if you can't control the noises your stomach makes when you need food, I wouldn't risk it. After a bit of chit chat however, theres no time to think of food because the dates start!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home