Down The Aisle...

A singluar focus on my life in Sydney. I was "single", then I became "engaged" and now I'm married - but thats another story...

Monday, November 29, 2004

Raindrops On Roses And My Favourite Things

I used to love sleepovers. I still do actually. The mere word ‘sleepover’ immediately conjures up happy images of little girls in big flanel pajamas devouring blocks of chocolate, camping out in front of the loungeroom tv with a couple of movies and giggling about boys. All those comfortable things that bring a smile to the face. Add ten or fifteen years to that and not much has changed really except that my friends and I usually choose to add alcohol into the mix as well. The males of our aquaintance however, seem to have a somewhat different impression.

Apparently, we are all now expected to be both tipsy and tantalising as we trapse around in our trendy bras and knickers having pillow fights and pouting sessions over our partners (ok, I’ll stop the alliteration now). So sorry to burst your bubble boys but life is not like the playboy mansion. Although when confronted with this sad fact, my girlfriends and I were still not short of offers to ‘drop around’ from a handful of guys the other week. One of the more enterprising of the lads thought to offer some inducement for the suggestion and even offered parts of his body up for waxing (I guess this is another thing that women are supposed to want to do together in their free time).

The waxing idea actually had merit but then it would definitely not have been a ‘girly’ sleepover, which was after all the point of that particular weekend. My friends and I are all pretty honest and open but there are certain conversations we just don’t hold in front of guys. Actually, come to think of it, we probably do but it’s somehow different. With just girls, you know you’ve each got pretty much the same frame of reference (not to mention the same bodies - well compared to men at least) and there is a level of communication that requires no explanation. Besides, it’s the best way to learn the important things in life.

Some people claim they learnt everything they ever needed to know from Dolly Doctor and a handful of women’s mags ranging from Cleo and Cosmo to Cunningly-advertised-crap-in-the-supermarket-you-just-HAD-to-buy. I found however that a significant part of my education (and a few side-splitting laughs) came the females of my acquaintance and I wouldn’t have missed that for the world. I’m sure that some guys would give just about anything to be a fly on the wall during our ‘mother’s meetings’ but just as ‘what goes on in the locker room stays in the locker room’, I think its probably best to leave some mysteries.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home