Down The Aisle...

A singluar focus on my life in Sydney. I was "single", then I became "engaged" and now I'm married - but thats another story...

Wednesday, January 05, 2005

Common Myth-stakes

‘I don’t eat ice cream when I’ve had a bad day. If I’ve had a really rough day, I’ll play Doom.’ I thought that quote was cool. I don’t actually play Doom myself but I definitely agree with the sentiment. In spite of all the female stereotypes out there that have us consoling ourselves with sugar, wine and that essential food group of pizza, when I’m really upset, sometimes I just want to kick someone’s arse. And I feel if more men knew that, they’d be a lot better off. Any guy who plans to stick around ought to be prepared to go toe to toe if the situation calls for it. Backing off doesn’t often solve a hell of a lot I feel. But that’s just one of the things I think males should know.

It sometimes surprises me the questions guys ask. And the things they assume. Like the fact that women must be incapable of going to the bathroom by themselves. Of course we’re not incapable. That’s just ridiculous. More often than not we use it as a legitimate excuse to separate ourselves from people we may wish to talk about privately. I thought everyone knew that. Occasionally there are other reasons of course, like the fact that there is greater potential to learn any new gossip going around. There is almost always a wait for female toilets, no matter where you are, so you have to talk about something in the queue. There is also the point that if you go with someone, you will not have to go without them later and risk that they might say something when you’re not there. Women can be quite calculating like that.

Despite the fact that women can be calculating and undoubtedly play mind games however, we do not all do it all of the time. I’m serious. Not everything we say is a trick question. If we ask a guy what he thinks about something, it is entirely possible that we actually just want to know. If we ask a guy what he’d prefer to do in a situation, likewise. It seems to be a fairly widespread misconception that women only know the language of double-speak and we are constantly out to trip people up, manipulate or frustrate them. To be honest, I have neither the energy nor the inclination to be bothered. As far as I know, no one I’ve met has always said what they meant but a few have been unfairly accused of not doing it.

The last misconception that I choose to have a gripe about today is the idea that all single women are fixated on finding a partner. The idea that any single woman must be desperate to be in a relationship is, I am sorry to tell you boys, false. I believe its possible that many unattached women may be open to being part of a couple. They may see a healthy relationship and on some level wish they had that for themselves but that doesn’t mean they’ll settle for anything less. Some women are actually quite comfortable with who they are and enjoy the freedom that singledom affords. We really are not unlike some guys in that respect. And funnily enough, we’re not actually an entirely different species either.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home