Down The Aisle...

A singluar focus on my life in Sydney. I was "single", then I became "engaged" and now I'm married - but thats another story...

Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Pash And Hell

If you’d happened to read the Radar section of the Sydney Morning Herald today, you would have learned that their blind-date game, Kiss and Tell (also affectionately referred to as Pash and Hell apparently) has just turned one. Emma-Kate Dobbin, the resident cupid, reviewed her year, giving us a little of the behind-the-scenes info you don’t always get to hear about in the articles themselves. She recalls the paramours who got cold feet at the last minute, the ones that ended up with carnal knowledge of their date’s best friend and the ones who were not really single at all. She also paints an entertaining picture of the trials involved in playing matchmaker.

Actually, she paints such an entertaining picture overall that several people have left comments on the online edition. People who have followed the feature for a while and been entertained by the antics of others have congratulated her on a job well done. There are those who have urged her to keep up the good work and then there are those who have put an extra two cents in. Like Mr. Smug Married. This was the guy who thought that people who have participated in Kiss and Tell should realise that ‘they’re all still single because they have unrealistic expectations about what their partner should be’. I may have had a slight problem with this.

Normally, a comment like this would not have bothered me at all. I would have read it and smiled along with everyone else and thought that yes, they might just have expectations that are rather unrealistic. Beggars can’t always be choosers and maybe all those singletons should wake up and take a reality pill or something. Normally however, I would not be referring to myself. And in this instance I feel I would be referring to myself as my photo was part of the graphic montage thingy that supports the story.

Along with almost one hundred other hopefuls, my photo appears on the front of the Radar section, once again advertising my singleness to the nation, not that its done me any good so far. As some of you may recall, I obviously had less friends than one of the other three contenders for a surprise date when I participated earlier this year and I came in second, missing out on the date and receiving a consolation prize of beauty products for my efforts. I can’t say I was heartbroken at not winning the date but neither was I glad I didn’t get that chance to meet someone new.

If nothing else, I think Kiss and Tell provides the opportunity for the successful candidates to get to know someone they would not normally have met. It’s a bit of light fun that some people perhaps take too seriously. The chance of actually meeting The One is really quite small but you may just meet The One’s good friend, or a new mate or at least someone who provides you with a new story to tell. And theres nothing wrong with having high expectations or personal preferences, its what makes us all try to be the best people we can be.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home