Down The Aisle...

A singluar focus on my life in Sydney. I was "single", then I became "engaged" and now I'm married - but thats another story...

Wednesday, April 06, 2005

What The..?

I’m sure I could probably have recurring entries titled with the above but even if I use it only once, I feel it happens to be fitting for what I’m talking about today. Namely the ‘Pleasure Of Seduction’ workshop offered by a university on the Spanish island of Tenerife. And I kid you not here, I got it from a newspaper article. This workshop will form part of a Master’s degree (mmm..even that sounds suggestive now) in sexual education and therapy. It will also teach you ‘how to seduce potential sexual partners’.

Now for all of those Monty Python fans out there, I’m sure you had a good laugh at John Cleese educating a room full of private school (or ‘public’ I think it is for the British) boys in the art of sex. Complete with a personal demonstration. He drones on though, just like you’d suppose a stodgy old professor would, and all of the boys look and behave remarkably as though they’d like to be elsewhere. The whole sketch just cracks me up and was the first thing that came to mind when I read the short article.

The second thing that came to mind when I’d read the article was a male dominated class full of sleazy, greasy men who first and foremost wanted a go at a female instructor. And next to that, seriously wanted to boost their pick up success rate. I’m sure neither is particularly accurate however. For all I know, the class could be female dominated and filled with intellectual types who hope to make a career in marriage counselling or social theory. Its also quite possible that the workshops are not exactly 'hands on' in the way one might imagine. Imagine it one does though. You can’t help it.

How exactly would you go about teaching one person to seduce another? Would you use demonstrations? Role plays? Theory? All of the above? And who exactly would you be teaching? I’m sure there are actually a number of men and women out there who would love to be as talented as Don Juan or a renowned courtesan. People who would immeasurably improve their lives if only they could enjoy them a little more. Of course, it does not necessarily follow that someone wanting this knowledge would be game enough to actually enrol in a class but you never know.

So will this stream of education ever hit our shores do you think? Will our national university pick it up as part of their gender studies program (if they still have one)? Probably not but its still a somewhat entertaining idea that has amused me for the duration of writing this entry. And after all, we already have ‘date coaching’ so this wouldn’t be that much of an extension. But then again, maybe there are people to whom this knowledge should not be imparted and we’re better safe than sorry?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home