Down The Aisle...

A singluar focus on my life in Sydney. I was "single", then I became "engaged" and now I'm married - but thats another story...

Monday, January 09, 2006

I'll Have What She's Having


Well I must admit that I have really been getting into ‘Sex And The City’ recently. It’s the first time that I’ve actually seriously watched it, and what better time to start than after the show has finished and all the episodes are available on DVD. When it was actually on television, it was usually scheduled on a night that I was out or it was on while I was living at the bottom of a very big hill (seriously, I just could not get channel nine in my flat). This Christmas however, along with the other loot she scored, my cousin Cardinal K received the entire collection wrapped up in its own beauty case. And I’ve borrowed it.

In my free time I have been enjoying the pithy humour, the sarcasm and the knowledge that I’m probably a lot less screwed up than quite a few other people out there. I can sympathise whole-heartedly with the characters in some of the storylines and occasionally feel that I definitely could not have put something better myself. Of course since I’m not a sexually gregarious nymphomaniac, there are also parts of the show that I do not find myself identifying with but between the four women, there is usually something familiar. Unlike the suggestions that I might resemble Carrie however (which is largely due to what I choose to write about I guess), I would have to say that I am somewhat more like Charlotte.

For starters, I happen to be a brunette but I have also at times been told that I am a little idealistic and old fashioned in comparison to others of my generation. I don't think I'm quite as emotional as she is but neither am I as out there as the other three. Charlotte, unlike the others, is the sort of girl who is not in your face about her personal life and is often surprised when life presents her with something she really didn’t expect that her friends might have. She is more of a nice girl and is the quiet one that will occasionally come out with something that you least expect. She does hold her own though and she’s a woman who believes in herself and her dreams. She will occasionally compromise some things to make the pieces fit perfectly, but once she realises that she’s really trying to put a square peg in a round hole, she learns from it and moves on.

So apart from the periodically neurotic thing, I could do much worse than being like Ms York. I think I actually display a bit too much cynicism to be considered as having her sweet nature and I don’t trust as easily as she does but I might get there one of these days. I might also get around to having a kick-ass career that I’m passionate about (or a partner that inspires a similar emotion for that matter) but I’ve still got some work to do first. In the mean time, all I need to do is get a much larger disposable income, three gorgeous, single girlfriends and some A-list connections so I can be seen at all the right places. Then I can have it all sorted, just like on TV. On the other hand, I could just enjoy the DVDs while I have them and then get out of the house and live the life I’ve already got cause that’s not so bad either.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home