Down The Aisle...

A singluar focus on my life in Sydney. I was "single", then I became "engaged" and now I'm married - but thats another story...

Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Seeing Red?

Well, now that I have been shopping with my mother and my sister, I’m more confused than I was before!

The Boy and I have been dress shopping a few times and I thought I had a pretty fair idea of what I wanted. When mum saw the dresses though, she liked all the ones I liked but the one I thought was was the pick of the lot, she wasn’t in love with. In addition to that, she thought the dress sort of wore me instead of the other way around. Thats not the impression I was going for funnily enough. So now there are a couple of off the rack dresses I like and a couple of made to measure gowns (which are of course significantly more expensive) and I’m not really any closer to choosing something than I was before I saw anything. I seem to want a lot of different things, not all of which are conducive to each other. Helpful, I know.

Everyone keeps telling me that its my wedding and I can do whatever I want so I should just choose whatever makes me feel great but right now nothing does. And its all very well to say you can go to a designer and get them to create something individual but from what I’ve seen so far, you have to get into really big money before you can go to someone and say I have no idea what I want but you have to make me something anyway. It seems that you really have to start from a base idea an build on that but I’m struggling with even that step at the moment. I had the same issue with the engagement ring.

When we were looking at options I saw a couple of jewellery designers but they couldn’t just put designs out there based on a few vague likes and dislikes. I had to commit to a diamond and then work from a base design and that’s why we gave up and avoided the whole stone issue in general and decided on something completely different. The Faberge ring we want does actually have several stones in it but they are so tiny and more there for decoration than anything else.

So I am obviously still having a whinge about the whole thing. I must admit, I am very frustrated by the lack of people I feel I can go shopping with for all this stuff. I don’t really have many female friends in Sydney I can call on if I need stuff. One is seemingly chronically busy and I see her seldom when I actually think about it and another is getting married herself in three weeks so she spends every waking moment running around doing her own wedding stuff. As one would expect. I have acquaintances in Sydney and there are one or two people who The Boy and I see socially together every once in a while but they’re not my friends, you know? I know I have my mother and my sister in Canberra but that’s the thing, they are in Canberra and they can’t just start coming up every weekend so I can get a female point of view from someone who knows me. Bah. Maybe I should stop whinging, elope and just come back and throw a massive party!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home