Down The Aisle...

A singluar focus on my life in Sydney. I was "single", then I became "engaged" and now I'm married - but thats another story...

Friday, May 22, 2009

Transportationally Challenged

Well isn’t it ironic? Not in an Alanis Morrisette kind of way of course because that song was not actually about anything ironic. Although the fact that it wasn’t actually about anything ironic however was kind of ironic in itself but I’m not entirely sure that was the way it was intended. Anyway, the fact that we are no longer transportationally challenged for the wedding does have a certain element of irony to it. Even though I have no interest in cars whatsoever, we have ended up with a car that I actually think is really cool and The Boy, who loves cars and other things automobile (and did have certain preferences), is satisfied.

In a lot of areas, our tastes are quite similar and our ideas concerning the wedding seem to gel well together but I have to say that this is not something we found with cars. From the beginning of this whole wedding business, I felt it wise to tell The Boy that I am not having a classic American car as the wedding car. Mustangs, Cadillacs and Chevys are out. I’ve just never really liked them. The Boy then told me in turn that we’d be getting a stretch Hummer over his dead body. Yeah, I know they’re kinda tacky but in a way, I think they’re so awful, they’re almost cool. So we started looking around at the European cars.

The Boy fell in love with the Mark IV Jag a while ago, and I have to say that I did quite like the car but I then went and put a spanner in the works didn’t I? Regardless of the tradition that says the bridal couple should have their own car to get away from the church and the bridal party should follow in another vehicle, since we are only having one attendant each, I actually want them with us. I am well aware that my sister, the Maid of Honour, and our Gentle Giant of a Best Man are both big enough and ugly enough to look after conversation on their own but since neither of them actually know the other, I thought it would be much more fun to have us all together. And three people and two dresses across the backseat apparently don’t work in a classic sedan car.

So then we had a “discussion” about why I assumed The Boy knew that the four of us together was my preference and why The Boy expected me to know it wasn’t actually practical in the first place. I then offered to just go with the Jag or even a Cadillac with the two of us if thats what he really wanted and he condescended to ride in Hummer if thats what I really wanted. Neither of us were particularly content with those options however so we looked at the limousine idea instead. We pretty much agreed that four people would get lost in the back of a stretch Chrysler so that option was nixed pretty quickly. Anything white in the various fleets around was out too cause some of the stuff I’ve seen at Bridal Fairs just look a bit kitsch. And then we found the Rolls Royce Wraith.

This car is a tank! Probably not a very effective sort of tank because the body is apparently aluminium but this thing is huge. It used to belong to the Australian Government way back when and I think the Queen may have even ridden in it. Now it has been restored by a wedding car business and has been resprayed as a two tone silver colour. I thought it was totally cool and oddly enough one of the more impressive things we’ve got for the wedding so far. The Boy just shook his head at me. He has thrown himself into sourcing flowers, veils, centrepieces, jewellery and lots of other traditionally girly things and I wasn’t anywhere near as excited about those as I was about the car. Oh well, you can’t have everything.

In case you get the wrong idea though, I think we are both happy with the final choice of car. I really was more than willing to split up the bridal party so The Boy could have the car he originally wanted but given my preference to have us together and the money to hire not only one car but two, this was decided to be the best option for our wedding. And there is definitely something stately about a Rolls Royce...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home