Down The Aisle...

A singluar focus on my life in Sydney. I was "single", then I became "engaged" and now I'm married - but thats another story...

Wednesday, June 03, 2009

The Making Of The Wedding

Its wonderful what you can now find on the internet. Quite by accident sometimes you stumble over flashes of brilliance that might leave you in awe or perhaps inspire you to go forth and create all on your own. I have recently been prompted into one of those inspirational phases which would be fantastic except I still haven’t quite figured out where to go with it yet. My new fountain of ideas has sprung up in relation to the videoing of The Wedding. The Boy and I have previously discussed the merits of actually getting a videographer for our wedding but up until now we have been a bit undecided. Apart from the very real benefit of being able to see how we naturally moved and sounded at the time, there are some fairly decent drawbacks.

Aside from the fact that a lot of people seem to want your first born for the privilege, wedding videos are just so boring! Ceremonies are often quite serious (or tedious) and the entertaining bits of women getting their hair done or the bridal party standing around posing for photos can be very few and far between. Even at receptions, the chatter around the table might make for fantastic company but its not usually something you want to watch hours of after the fact. Or even during the fact for that matter. Because in order to get around and see everything, some poor bugger has to be behind the lens the whole time. So we were a bit stumped until I saw this TOTALLY AWESOME VIDEO by the Lockdown Projects. I have no idea whether we could actually pull something like that off without taking on a second job or selling a kidney but I sat there thinking holy cow, if I have a wedding video I want it to be like that.

Of course, if you are going to shamelessly rip off someone else’s idea then you really ought to change it just a little bit at least first. So I figured that instead of getting our guests to mime the words to Queen’s Don’t Stop Me Now to make a music video, I’d have them mime Love Cats by The Cure. I got pictures in my head of a few friends in particular hissing directly into the camera and others prancing around to this, I don’t even know what to call it – pop classic? The line “we’re so wonderfully wonderfully wonderfully wonderfully pretty!” just lends itself perfectly to a dolled up bride and groom as well. Getting the guests to go along with this however is another matter. It takes a lot of effort and energy to make people do something that may make them feel a little silly and a splash charisma too. I think I could probably do it but by all accounts, I’m going to be a trifle busy all day long so really, I’m out. If all else fails though, I do have a plan B.

Seeing as everyone who is there on the day (including us) would have seen it all before, having a straight replay on video would not seem all that exciting. To anyone. I figured what people might like to see or know afterwards though are things they didn’t actually expect. After a little further consideration on the fact that we have turned our wedding into “The Wedding”, a one show only production, I thought what better thing to do with lots of random footage than to piece it all together and create a “making of” video? A sort of mockumentary if you will on The Wedding with voiceovers discussing the casting, the props, the challenges, the dramas and anything else silly or strange that we can come up with when we edit it all together. I think I might actually want to look at something like that in a few years time. And if it was short and sweet, it might be something that anyone who couldn’t make it to The Wedding was happy to watch as well. At least there would be somewhat more to it than people just going about their business. Even if it is a significant occasion. This is what home movies should be like.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home