Down The Aisle...

A singluar focus on my life in Sydney. I was "single", then I became "engaged" and now I'm married - but thats another story...

Tuesday, November 09, 2004

Dressed For Success

I think it is safe to say that most women dress for other women. That doesn’t mean that they are interested in them but rather that they would always like to appear better than them. Other women that is. A rather strange concept in a way as the motivation for looking better than anyone else is to make yourself more sought after by the opposite sex. But some females out there don’t seem to realise that in the eyes of guys, there are chicks you perv at and chicks you date. And just because you’re the former does not mean you’ll be the latter.

Or maybe that’s just my wishful thinking as I refuse to flit around in cheek-riding skirts and boob tubes that require maintenance every twenty seconds and completely prohibit any energetic movement whatsoever. Ok, so I may not exactly have the legs for cheek-riding skirts and my bust wouldn’t hold up a whole hell of a lot by itself, but even if I was Barbie on Berocca I would definitely be thinking twice about some of the fashion fads out there.

Girls, just because Jlo wears something, doesn’t mean you should. And what looks quite nice in a photograph, or on a mannequin is not necessarily going to flatter you when you have to stand up and sit down in it. It amazes me sometimes that people with good figures will manage to find clothes that accentuate their worst features. And what is it with all these tops that seem to require you to wear no underwear whatsoever!?! I’m sure its not healthy. Although maybe I should be happy that by the time I’m forty, some of my peers will be a lot less perky!

Seriously though, I don’t see the attraction. I’m assuming its to do with the if-you’ve-got-it-flaunt-it principle but I’ve always felt that the power of subtle suggestion is way underrated. Besides, what’s the point of having sexy lingerie if you don’t get a chance to wear it out? Now it seems you either go au natural, feel self conscious and uncomfortable the whole night (but know that you can go from decent to naked in three seconds flat should the situation call for it) or you wear one of those stick on bras (which don’t go on so well after they’ve already come off and are, lets face it, quite unattractive to look at). Either way, the choice isn’t great.

So unfortunately at the moment, clothes shopping reminds me of the phrase small choice in rotten apples. There are some great things out there if you’re prepared to dish out the dosh or hunt down a bargain but not all of us are. I guess I’ll just have to learn to live with last season’s collection and hope I don’t sink into a depression. It shouldn’t be that bad though, at least I’ll be comfortable.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home