Down The Aisle...

A singluar focus on my life in Sydney. I was "single", then I became "engaged" and now I'm married - but thats another story...

Tuesday, November 16, 2004

Picky And Proud

Well, on the basis of everything posted here so far, I am apparently too picky. I was told this the other day and at first I was like no way! I don’t choose guys on the basis of their chequebooks, I don’t specifically go after models or white-collar workers with degrees (or whatever it is the modern working girl is supposed to want) and I don’t have a ridiculous strike list. I do actually know people who swear by the whole ‘one strike and you’re out’ mentality and include things like ‘if he so much as speaks to his ex-girlfriend I’ll dump him’ on their list, but I’m not one of them. So how could I be picky? And then I got to thinking…

I’m looking for someone who balances me. Which seems quite fitting somehow as I’m a Libran and my symbol is the scales. But just like the scales of justice, to maintain perfect balance, what is on one side must be matched exactly on the other. Is it so wrong to want that? Or to want something remotely close to that? If so, tough. And if that makes me picky, so be it. I used to feel peer pressure to do what others thought I should but I’ve tried to outgrow that. To date, there are still things that no one has been able to convince me to compromise on and I’m not so sure that one could either.

So what are these things? Well some aren’t that easy to immediately put into words. You could say however, that the appearance of abject idolisation is a pretty major turn off. Let me say this now - I am not perfect. Sometimes I am not even nice. On the basis of an hours conversation, if you claim to know exactly who I am and believe that I am wonderful and without fault, I will think you are an idiot.

Another thing that is somewhat wearing is someone after constant reassurance. Did I really impress you the first time you met me? What do you most like about me? Do you think about me? What made you pick me? Individually, these questions are not so bad. Coming one after the other, right after meeting someone, they were quite bad. I think if I can refrain from asking if my butt looks big then other people should be able to keep any raging insecurities in check. Besides, if anyone gets to be the neurotic one in the relationship, I think it should be me.

Everyone has likes and dislikes. We also have preferences. When you’re single however, that’s what people focus on. Your so-called ideal may be nothing like who you actually end up with but that hardly seems the point. You’re said to be picky not so much by what you do but more by the nature of what you think. Apparently I qualify but you know what…after considering all the opportunities I’ve ‘missed’, I can’t really say I’m sorry.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home