Down The Aisle...

A singluar focus on my life in Sydney. I was "single", then I became "engaged" and now I'm married - but thats another story...

Saturday, November 06, 2004

RIP RSVP

In my bid to ‘put myself out there’ as so many well meaning marrieds (and practically marrieds) tell me I ought to do, I put a profile on RSVP. For all those who are not desperate and dateless – or not technologically capable – this is an internet dating website connecting singles all over Australia. After my somewhat brief foray into the cyber circuit however, I have decided that it really wasn’t for me and am now no longer a member.

Although it wasn’t exactly a success, it was definitely interesting. I attracted my fair share of interest which was quite flattering. The 43 year old men with kids and a few of the 18 year old boys were not really my cup of tea but still, I did meet a few people and I had a laugh. You kind of had to really. It’s next to impossible to take a couple of those profiles seriously. As a heterosexual female I could only look through so many profiles of 'ex-models' (complete with pictures of them sprawled over something) just wanting to meet a 'nice girl' whilst using the handle 'ImYourWildestDreams' - or something equally as nauseating.

It wasn’t all like that though. Most people did seem really down to earth and genuine and just wanted to give the whole internet thing a go. Some of the profiles were quite amusing and actually made you laugh whereas others…lacked imagination really. I swear, it was almost as though a few of them had ticked a box to write their profile. Maybe there’s a template floating around the net somewhere. “Hi, my name is [insert name here]. I am a fun-loving, down to earth guy. I listen to all types of music, I like sport and I love getting to know new people. I enjoy movies and I’ll even watch chick flicks (don’t tell the boys). I’d love to just curl up on the couch with that special someone. If that’s you, please email me”.

Not that my profile was anything great though. Even if it did take me ages to write. I can attest that it’s actually not as easy as it looks. Most people first enter the RSVP site as a guest and have a look around. You see a few profiles that maybe spark your interest and you think, hey, I could give that a go but when it comes to writing something to represent you, it can be a little hard. After reading a few of the female profiles to get a feel for what others were putting up, I decided I wanted the honest approach. The first thing that actually ran through my mind though was to say that as a female I can be bitchy, manipulative, moody, cynical, immature, annoying and petty - not to mention sarcastic. But I didn't think that was really appropriate. I went with something a little more traditional and hopefully not too clichéd in the end.

So if you’ve ever been curious, I urge you to give it a look and even give it a try. You may just find yourself being ‘kissed’ by all sorts of people…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home