Down The Aisle...

A singluar focus on my life in Sydney. I was "single", then I became "engaged" and now I'm married - but thats another story...

Monday, March 14, 2005

Love For Sale

We’ve all heard about imaginary friends I’m sure but did you know that you can also have imaginary girlfriends too – for around forty US dollars? Apparently now there is a website that advertises two month relationships with these ‘girlfriends’ for this one low fee. Fantastic I hear you say. Its probably a bargain at twice the price! So what does it actually entail? Well, an ‘imaginary’ girlfriend of course.

You can’t see her, touch her or hear her but for a period of two months you can exchange emails with her and pretend you’re merely having a long distance relationship. Obviously it’d be the sort of relationship where the girlfriend couldn’t get on the phone for some reason (like she was in another time zone or something) and where a real home address wouldn’t actually be provided (maybe because it was a clandestine sort of thing) but it could still be good. While it lasted.

For your money boys, you could look at a picture of a stunningly attractive woman, probably scantily clad, that will be sent to you and for two months, receive missives that warm your heart because they come from her. You could pass them round to your friends bragging that you have found the most wonderful girl in the world, or lock them up safe and only get them out to feel the warm fuzzies that come from receiving words of love and affection.

For my money though, I’d probably be a little bit sceptical. I’d also be hoping like hell that my new ‘girlfriend’ wasn’t some spotty, five foot tall high school drop out with drug and hygiene problems who was just trying to pick up the extra cash needed to support his X-rated entertainment addiction. I’m probably being pessimistic however and the so called girlfriends are probably real women of high calibre who are exactly as they represent themselves. Except that they don’t actually want to be your girlfriend. You do need to pay them for that.

But if this is the case then I do have a few questions for all those women out there. What made you think that becoming a glorified pen pal (also known as an emotional call girl) was the best idea you’d had all week? For whatever your cut of twenty dollars per month is!?! And do you actually bother to write individual emails or do you merely cut and paste (which is kind of cheating really)? Because I am curious.

And now that I think about it, I do also have questions about whether there are any special services or add ons in this sort of industry but maybe that shows that I have been thinking about this a little too much so I should just stop. The whole idea does make me smile though. Some people sure are weird.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home