Down The Aisle...

A singluar focus on my life in Sydney. I was "single", then I became "engaged" and now I'm married - but thats another story...

Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Holidating

Well I recently spent a few days down in Melbourne with some girlfriends where I had the perfect opportunity to engage in a little holidating. You know, where you go away from home and seemingly take advantage of the fact that pretty much no one at your destination will know you. You know you will not be judged on past performances or associations but merely on what you present to those you meet. It’s a chance for you to be anything you want and perhaps to indulge in a fantasy or two. At least for a little while.

Having said that however, honesty compels me to point out that I didn’t actually participate in any holidating at all (and also that I don’t agree with dishonesty although flirting is another matter). If anything, one might be of the opinion that I was in fact stood up by one guy (who has sincerely apologised since) and that I crashed one of my girlfriends dates with another. Of course one might also consider that the situations resulted in nothing of the sort but either way, the extra long weekend was quite enjoyable.

My girlfriends and I ate out, shopped (duh!) and spent a night down in St Kilda. We started off in one bar on the main strip where I swear I could see over the top of every guy there (and I’m not that tall!) and then moved on to greener pastures. We befriended some guys in a line outside another club and we met some nice commercial pilots from Brisbane who it seemed were interested in doing a little ‘holidating’ of their own. We managed to last till about four a.m. by which time I desperately needed to sleep on my bed. I think everybody had a good night though.

Whenever you go away, you are removed from most of the stressful influences in your life. You also actively try to have fun as though its some sort of mandatory requirement whenever you are on a break. You feel more relaxed and possibly it is this that other people pick up on and find really attractive. People get a chance to see a more natural side of you perhaps that is not caught up in the day to day hustle of life and to see you also for what you want to be.

Of course, sometimes you meet people only fleetingly so they may just get an impression that you are cool, calm, collected and fun but still, sometimes that’s all it takes. And who knows, it may also be one of the best things that ever happen to you. I somehow doubt that any lasting attachments were actually made during my girl’s trip to Melbourne however, but who knows. I did manage to give out my phone number at the airport, a fact that still makes me smile today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home