Down The Aisle...

A singluar focus on my life in Sydney. I was "single", then I became "engaged" and now I'm married - but thats another story...

Friday, May 27, 2005

What Next

Well I must say that things are pretty slow going at the moment. I can’t really think of anything I want to write at present and I have not as yet managed to find some appropriate inspiration. As per normal, life goes on around me and I see friends trying to navigate their way through it all. When is a relationship a ‘relationship’, can I continue to flirt if they’re ‘not interested’, should I ask them to come over or is that too forward right now? But whereas they can be major concerns if they are yours (I have been there myself), I’m not quite sure what more I can say today. Nothing seems worth repeating. When I look back over the posts I’ve written, it appears I have exhausted my stories and talked about everything else besides but then again...I guess I never did mention my proposals.

I’m rather embarrassed to say that I can’t actually remember the name of the first guy who proposed to me. I also don’t remember much of the proposal either. As I recall there wasn’t really a lead up to it or anything, it was just kind of casually thrown into the conversation. We were sitting alone outside in a park and I do remember just being with him seemed somehow daring at the time as I hadn’t known him for very long. I quite liked him I think but I definitely had not been thinking along those lines. He obviously felt a real connection though and decided to ask. I’m pretty sure his name was Christopher and that he was a year older than me. That amounted to a big difference for a serious ten-year-old however, and I felt I had to politely decline his offer.

My next proposal came from a guy named Tom. He was from the Isle of Wight and was working for the British army in Hannover. I believe the proposal was largely alcohol induced as I had known him for even less time than Christopher but it was apparently just as, if not more so, sincere. I did actually accept this proposal at first as well, technically. Also being somewhat buoyed up by cheap alcohol, having someone think I was fantastic enough to propose to on the spot was kind of flattering. He made me a ring out of a lolly pop stick and fervently held my hand as he asked if I’d marry him so my answer was yeah, sure, why not. This was gratefully accepted by Tom but my revised decision upon realising he believed himself a bit more serious than I thought myself, did not go down so well. He actually sulked in a corner and refused to talk to me for about forty minutes before he came around.

And there you have it. Unfortunately I have yet to receive a proposal from someone I would actually consider accepting but hopefully I do not have to wait another fifteen or so years before there is someone who fits that bill. And who knows, maybe it’ll be me doing the proposing. Traditionally in a leap year it is the woman who is supposed to propose to the man and between my parents, it was my mother who asked. Cool huh?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home