Down The Aisle...

A singluar focus on my life in Sydney. I was "single", then I became "engaged" and now I'm married - but thats another story...

Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Sam And The City


Oh my gosh! ‘Finally the very first Aussie dating blog hits the airwaves’. Who would’ve guessed? Quite surprising really that no one thought of it before now. Especially someone living in Sydney. But now we have Sam Brett of the ‘Luv ‘n txt’ fame to fill the void. I’d not actually heard of her before last week but she’s had a book published so she must be the woman for the job. And with her name and image providing the cute homage to Candace Bushnell’s Sex And The City, I’m sure the management at SMH are expecting this to be a successful venture.

So ok, that was a little bit sarcastic cause I obviously feel that she has slightly less right to the title than say I would (although I’m really not sure that one normally describes a blog as hitting the airwaves). To be honest, I’m probably not the first to post continually on dating either but I have been doing it for longer than a week and a half. As far as I’m concerned however, she is welcome to the title. She is also welcome to coming up with daily topics, which I for one can attest, is somewhat harder than it looks. It is perhaps also a little ambitious as even the other columns I have read are only weekly.

So far though (amongst other topics), Sam has found things to say on blondes vs brunettes, whether to text or talk, and whether men should be expected to pay. She has also called Cassanova the ‘great irascible Italian lover’, which I found rather curious within itself, and has inspired a string of comments that are rather enlightening all on their own. In fact, some of them are hilarious. A number of people have responded genuinely to the questions posed but there are also those that I can only assume have created an alternate identity to, in good Aussie fashion, completely take the piss.

Despite the desire by some to use this forum for a laugh however, it is interesting to read what serious posters have to say as well. It seems that many of us singletons out there have the same dilemmas and issues as each other. We are all still trying to do our best to navigate the dating world that can be as treacherous as it is rewarding and no one has the answers. So what are we supposed to do now some might ask? Well, if you read as much as I do, you might see something that makes you think twice, if you talk to people, you might hear something that makes a difference and if you continue to take one day at a time, hopefully you’ll grow from your experiences and find something you want.

As for Sam and the City, who knows where they(?) will end up. I know it all starts out well in the beginning when you’re really inspired and then you hit the point at which you go ‘Oh crap! What do I say next?’. Or maybe that’s just me. Either way, hopefully the column will keep going and just maybe, it might prove inspiring.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home