Down The Aisle...

A singluar focus on my life in Sydney. I was "single", then I became "engaged" and now I'm married - but thats another story...

Thursday, August 10, 2006

Not Quite The Ring Of Truth


Well it was brought to my attention the other day that I have perhaps been shooting myself in the foot. Figuratively speaking of course. I’m sure it would be possible to literally shoot myself in the foot…which now brings to mind the story of a guy I went to school with who went spear fishing one afternoon and didn’t account for the refraction in the water…but that’s a different topic altogether. In any case, I have a love of jewellery you see, its one of my concessions to being girly, and it is such that I feel sort of naked if I leave the house without it. As a consequence, people rarely see me without a pair of earrings and a number of rings, one of which I wear on the fourth finger of my left hand.

Now I know that there are guys out there who use this as a method of ascertaining whether a girl is single or not. When checking someone out, they manage to scan the chest, face and ring finger in about 2.3 seconds (it probably only takes about .3 seconds to check for a ring but why miss out on the whole show – and I am not particularly bothered by this as some women assess men just as blatantly, we can only identify men who are definitely married however). Anyway, if she is ‘encumbered’ shall we say, it is easy to assume that she is attached and therefore not fair game. At which point most guys move on. Now I also know that men are not always the most observant of creatures so I’m not sure why I thought it might be significant that the item I wear on my ring finger contains no stone. But I think I did.

Like the majority of females out there I assume, I am traditional when it comes to things like engagement rings. Well, in the sense that I think they should contain a diamond set in gold at least. Woes betide the person who gives me a round cut stone in yellow gold. Actually, I would probably count myself damn lucky to accept any ring that was offered out of love but given the choice, I’d opt for the princess cut in white gold. So sue me. Until I get to wear a ring for a reason other than my own vanity however, I choose to stay away from wearing anything that I believe might be confused as representing something that it doesn’t. Except that I obviously do because I was asked about it the other night. Or rather, I was asked if I was ever asked about it.

I must admit that I am asked about this ring a fair bit but mostly by females and pretty much because they think that its funky and slightly unusual. I’m not usually asked by guys – but then I wouldn’t be would I if they thought I was attached? I don’t think anyone could assume that it was a wedding band though, or an engagement ring. And even if it was a commitment or promise ring (and don’t get me started on what I think about those), you’re supposed to wear them on the other hand aren’t you? But maybe I have it backwards, and a girl is just not supposed to wear anything on ‘that’ finger till she’s no longer single. Maybe I have been sabotaging my chances because I’m actually comfortable being single. And maybe I don’t much care one way or the other but came up with nothing else to crap on about today.

1 Comments:

At 11:26 AM, Blogger The Dummy said...

Aha. Well that might have something to do with it. I operate strictly on that finger rule myself - any girl wearing ANYthing on that left ring finger is pretty much out of bounds. She's more approachable though if it was on her right hand, but then, I'd probably assume she had a b/f. In any case, that'd probably stop a would-be flirter in his tracks if he had a quick look at your ring finger.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home