Down The Aisle...

A singluar focus on my life in Sydney. I was "single", then I became "engaged" and now I'm married - but thats another story...

Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Just One Of Those Things


Sydney chicks are gold-digging posers with a princess complex. Aussie blokes don't know how to treat the fairer sex and wouldn't know romance if it bit them on the butt. Girls today are just looking for the next mind game they can play. Guys never talk about their feelings and rarely communicate in relationships...'All the best women are married. All the handsome men are gay.'. Isn't that the way the song goes? But you know what? With all the judgements and complaints that reign supreme out there in the mags and the media today, it may not always be a male thing or a female thing. Sometimes it might just be one of those things.

It seems to me that most people (and I must admit I am no exception to this) are often quite ready to assign blame in situations that they are uncomfortable with. We criticise people that annoy us and we rationalise our behaviour, jumping at the chance to make anything Not Our Fault. 'He's Just Not That Into You' was a great boon to the dating world. It stopped many women from obsessing over relationships that were clearly not going anywhere. It also however gave some women the ability to excuse completely psychotic behaviour - he won't date me cause he's just not that into me, not because I'm a raving lunatic with maniacal tendencies that would freak the hell out of anyone. But I digress.

I was thinking the other day about a couple of experiences that have stuck in my mind such as the guy that happened to tell me everything I wanted to hear one night and ostensibly disappeared soon thereafter. He was called the worst kind of Arschloch at the time. I'd like to think now though that he actually meant what he said to me. It was merely that whilst he was (legitimately) living in the moment, I was the one already in next week. I think I wanted to project more meaning into the situation than was actually there so its hardly surprising I guess that things didn't quite work out how I'd hoped. Kind of like those times I'd give my number out but never receive a call.

You know when you go out and meet someone who's fun to flirt with and you think hey, I'd like to see this person again? You know when you're asked for your number and you give it willingly only to hear...nothing? It might make you wonder if you imagined the whole interaction. Were you really blind to the fact that they took your number as a means to end the conversation? Were you being played for sport? Did they find someone better? Perhaps though life just got in the way and they changed their mind. The picture often looks a little different when you step outside the frame. Some things lose momentum, people get cold feet and one night really can make up a very small part of someones social calendar.

Its always hard to realise that you may not be as important to someone else as you'd like to be. When you're happy, you really want those around you to be on the same page but as we all know, you can't have everything that you desire in this world. There will always be situations that don't work out the way we hope they will but you have to keep moving forward to find ones that do. And part of that moving forward is to not hold on to petty grievances. I suspect I'm still working on that to some extent but for the most part, I have been able to let stuff go. After all, when the shoe is on the other foot so to speak and I am the one not pursuing something, sometimes it is just one of those things.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home