Down The Aisle...

A singluar focus on my life in Sydney. I was "single", then I became "engaged" and now I'm married - but thats another story...

Thursday, July 20, 2006

Traffic


So I was reading this blog today about how to build up blog traffic. Not because I particularly want to build blog traffic myself but because I happened to surf past the site and something caught my eye. And then I stopped to read. Apparently there are three main tenets that one should strategise along (I’m paraphrasing here - does that actually make sense?) to accomplish this illustrious goal. These are Content, Community and Technology. The article then went on to further break down the first category of Content. The secret to having truly great content on a blog which will ultimately allow you to reach out beyond your social network I was told, is to be Useful, Entertaining or Timely – or of course a combination of all three.

Incidentally, this would explain why I would probably have a snowballs chance in hell of earning a living (or even renown come to think of it) from what is written here. I sincerely hope that it is at least mildly entertaining but I wouldn’t say that it is in any way timely and its certainly not useful. Twenty years down the track I’ll have a great time laughing at all the stupid things I’ve said to be sure, but apart from that I’m not positive that this really serves any purpose whatsoever. Well, unless you’re keeping tabs on whether I happen to be unattached or otherwise. But back to the fact that I was reading this entry, it may sound like a bit of a jump, however it struck me that the way to great content could also be reasons people enter into relationships.

Think about it. If what you can provide is useful then people will continue to come back for more. If whatever talent or attribute you were seen to possess doesn’t go out of style or out of date, others will more than likely continue to seek you out. When someone has the innate ability to completely understand you and provide emotional support or, you know, is really good at getting rid of spiders and taking out the trash, why wouldn’t you keep them around? Likewise if they were entertaining. Just as a junkie can’t wait for the next hit, it seems we all want to be entertained now and some things really are only a single click away from oblivion. Make someone laugh or intrigue them and they’ll pay attention, bore them stupid and they possibly won’t even bother to remember you for having done that.

Then you get to the last of the three which is being timely. I guess its always nice to think of yourself as being just what the doctor ordered and in the nick of time. To be right there and able to fill a gap takes a certain sort of talent I suppose. Either that or a lot of just hanging around trying not to look like part of the furniture. Of course, one could possibly consider that this would be the most unflattering reason for someone to want to be with you. If you were what happened to be in the right place at the right time so to speak but you do get all sorts in this world. And that was pretty much the extent of my thought on this Thursday night. It was around this part of the article, the part after the three types of content, that the author chose to mention the topic of ‘focus’ and that one should ‘post frequently, but not at the expense of quality’. It was all kind of interesting really. Its merely a pity that over the years I have developed the selective talent of letting some things go in one ear and out the other. Oh well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home