Down The Aisle...

A singluar focus on my life in Sydney. I was "single", then I became "engaged" and now I'm married - but thats another story...

Friday, September 15, 2006

Crushed

How do you crush a crush? How do you stop the mind from wandering where you prefer it wouldn’t and dwelling where you wish it didn’t? How do you stop thoughts from rattling around your head whose purpose really only serves to make you tired as opposed to actually getting you somewhere? Perhaps I should have taken notes last time. All I remember was that awareness that something was there and later the realisation that it wasn’t. But I don’t remember what came in the middle. Which could either be because I have a mind like a goldfish on occasion or perhaps because it is hard to remember something of which you might not have been totally conscious in the first place. Either way, I am feeling at a loss now.

What advice can you really offer to anyone in these circumstances? Even if its not a crush per se but perhaps a relationship that has been redefined as being less than what it was. What actually helps? Find something to take your mind off it? Remember that this is only one day out of many? Hold onto the fact that time heals all wounds? Be thankful that you don’t have a job cleaning up camel dung in Egypt? I can’t say that any of those would really do it for me. Or for my sister the Pussycat either I’m sure. In some respects we have been two different sides of the same coin recently and I feel just as inadequate trying to offer her consolation as…well I don’t actually know that she felt inadequate at all really, I just know I did.

I hate seeing people I care about struggling with anything. I always wish I could somehow make it better. However that might be accomplished. I was bored the other day and I got a questionnaire emailed to me about identifying what it takes to be my friend or something like that. One of the questions was if my friends could only be one thing out of four – what should they be and another was if my friend was going through a rough time, what would I try to do about it. I found both questions equally annoying because I don’t think my friendships can be defined that simply and they are all individual. Sometimes you need a bit of the silly and sometimes a little bit of the serious. Although I can’t always tell which would be more appropriate.

We usually all figure it out though in the end. You put one foot in front of the other and deal with the fact that Monday follows Sunday. You try to ignore the flat forehead you get from beating your head against the wall and whenever life knocks the stuffing out of you, you end up spending a little time putting it back. And as this is getting reflective, I now I think I need to go and do something frivolous for it is Friday. Yay. Any ideas?

1 Comments:

At 7:38 PM, Blogger Your Mum said...

You go out, you meet someone else, you fool about, flirt and push yourself to think elsewhere.

Then you come back to it, suffer an even more crushing blow to the ego and wish your life was less complicated.

Then you go and eat bad food, talk crap and drink too much with your friends until it's totally out of your system.

As for me, I just brood on it. Then look at pictures of Giovanna Mezzogiorno. That normally works.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home