Down The Aisle...

A singluar focus on my life in Sydney. I was "single", then I became "engaged" and now I'm married - but thats another story...

Monday, February 14, 2005

V-Day

Well today was that one day of the year when we all at least think on whether we are single or not. It’s the day that florists and the owners of Hallmark alike are all quite grateful for, a day that many of us participate in and a few of us really do enjoy. If I could make the title all pink and flashing for this entry then I probably would. Today my friends, was Valentines Day. And I must confess that I was technically desperate and dateless yet again. It was not however, for want of possibilities.

On the lead up to February 14th, there was plenty of publicity aimed at those not already in a relationship. Singles websites were skywriting their web addresses across the heavens, posters were everywhere, commercials were on tv and emails were flying left, right, and centre. Basically, anyone who could think of an excuse to use today as a marketing tool was doing so. From big business to small, from bars to supermarkets, everyone was getting in on the act.

Down at King Street Wharf, Cargo and RSVP were hosting a singles party complete with a DJ flown in from Ibiza and The Slip Inn was inviting you to come and see if you could meet your own prince. In the Rocks you could attend a traffic light party where a green outfit would suggest that you were willing and able, orange, that you were open to persuasion and red, that you weren’t. Over at Mrs MacQuarie’s Chair, you could soak up the romantic atmosphere at the moonlight cinema and there were numerous other events going on in the city.

If large gatherings were not really your scene though, then there were other amusements on offer. Cereal Dating was the one I thought sounded most entertaining. Over at Bondi Junction, both Woolies and Coles were hosting a singles night whereby you were supposed to place an upside-down box of cereal in your trolley to indicate you were trawling the aisles for talent. Your cereal choice was also intended to indicate the type of person you were after, ie. Nutri-Grain for a sporty single or Just-Right for a career oriented companion.

Although there were a large number of things happening today, I chose to have a somewhat quieter Monday. I went out and had dinner with a group of friends and we celebrated the night together. I definitely enjoyed the evening and I do not begrudge the fact that I was not able to spend it with a ‘date’ but at the same time, it is easy to get caught up in the consumer driven nature of the day and I can’t help but think, maybe I’ll have better luck next year?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home