Down The Aisle...

A singluar focus on my life in Sydney. I was "single", then I became "engaged" and now I'm married - but thats another story...

Wednesday, March 09, 2005

I'm Getting Married In The Morning...

Actually, I’m not getting married this week. I’m not even getting married next week. I will be married a year from today though. Maybe. Aggie says I can do it so it must be true, right? You’ve probably all heard of the ‘marriage pact’ whereby you and a friend of the opposite sex agree that if you are both still single at a certain time (and are not otherwise involved) you will marry each other. This week, I was reading all about the ‘marriage plan’ whereby you set a goal and go for it.

We all know that its socially acceptable to be part of a couple (no matter what age you are it appears). What seems less socially acceptable however is to advertise that you’d like to get married. And I’m not talking here about putting an ad in the paper but of having marriage as a goal when you are entering into potential relationships. There are those out there though who do hold the married state as one to which they aspire and that’s where this book comes in.

Aggie Jordan is a motivational speaker who gives courses on goal setting and achieving success. She also believes that these same principles can be applied to your private life as well as your public or business one. It is not ‘desperate’ for a woman to set a goal of marriage she states and believes that if they follow her advice, women can be married within a relatively short period of time (ie. a year), to their soul mate, in a love match. So if its that simple, I thought I’d see if it’d work for me. I mean its not as if I don’t want to get married to my soul mate whom I love desperately (whomever he may actually be).

So the first step to achieving success is to set the goal (irrespective of whether you’ve met someone or not). And as far as Aggie is concerned, any time limits over a year say that you’re not taking it seriously enough. Therefore I have given myself one year to march down the aisle. There’s obviously a little work to be done before then however since I’m not actually seeing anyone but that’s where the rest of the marriage plan comes in. I have to build a partner profile, consider what I will and won’t compromise on in a relationship, do some positive visualisation, make a plan and enlist support.

One of the crucial parts of the plan is to have support and/or assistance from others. To find at least one person who will encourage you to pursue your goal and may also be able to help you to meet people. Aggie does actually say to be careful about telling family members as they may try to dissuade you from setting such a goal (so I’m sure the internet was not what she had in mind here) but then again, I think my mum can probably rest easy. I’m still kinda lacking one of the major requirements of the plan, namely a true belief that it will actually happen. I can but try though.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home