Down The Aisle...

A singluar focus on my life in Sydney. I was "single", then I became "engaged" and now I'm married - but thats another story...

Wednesday, March 02, 2005

Kiss And Tell

Well Sydney voted and I missed out on a date. Its enough to drive any girl to chocolate cake which is rather handy cause that was part of my consolation prize. A while ago I participated in the Sydney Morning Herald’s 'Kiss and Tell' feature and was in effect competing for a date with their chosen bachelor. Sadly, I was not awarded this dubious honour (and I only say dubious because I didn’t know him from a bar of soap) but I thought I’d share my half of the experience with you anyway.

When doing a marketing push to get more possible candidates for the feature, SMH partnered with RSVP to send out emails asking for expressions of interest. Since I’ve tried almost everything else I thought why not. It could be a laugh and free stuff is always good. I was required to fill out a short questionnaire and send it in along with a photo of myself and my contact details. I was advised that participants would be chosen on the basis of how entertaining their responses were (and I don’t suppose it hurt if they thought you were attractive either) and that applicants would be notified if they were successful.

So I filled out the answers relating things such as what my worst date was, what my ideal date would be, what I found both attractive and unattractive and what I thought should be written on my tombstone. I believe I told them about the guy who explained why his beauty regime made him late and who continued to talk about how attractive he was throughout the evening. I told them about my fantasy date for the week where we would start out with something fun and energetic and finish up with a really nice relaxing meal. And I believe I made a rather flippant suggestion about what could be written on my tombstone.

Anyway, I didn’t hear back for a while and assumed they weren’t interested but then I got a call one Friday afternoon to ask if I’d be prepared to have my picture taken by their photographer and appear in next Wednesday’s paper. I obviously said yes. Since I was a bit surprised and vague on the phone however, I wasn’t actually sure till the paper came out whether I was a candidate one had to vote for or the chosen singleton. As it turned out, to win the date I required votes so my workplace was all abuzz Wednesday morning.

It appears that everyone at my company knows who I am now. All 190 odd of them. We work in a very open plan office and there were a couple of papers circulating around and many emails. I also sent emails out to friends and old work colleagues but unfortunately I came in a reasonably close second to the girl who obviously has a bigger workplace than me (I was told she did a massive campaign through her work which garnered her around 300 votes). The third contender apparently wasn’t much competition at all.

And that was my Kiss and Tell experience really. The 'winner' I think wanted it more than I did and I wasn’t that sad I missed out. Everyone told me that they didn’t like the look of the guy anyway. I read up on them later though and apparently they had a nice night but nothing special. So now I guess I’ll go back to my ordinary quiet existence and wait till the next opportunity comes up. Who knows, maybe it’ll be sooner rather than later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home