Down The Aisle...

A singluar focus on my life in Sydney. I was "single", then I became "engaged" and now I'm married - but thats another story...

Thursday, May 04, 2006

New Heights Of Stupidity

I must admit that I indulged in a bit of Schadenfreude today as I stopped by Random_Speak to catch up on L’s latest adventures. One entry in particular cracked me up and was presented with such an air of comic self-depreciation that in another universe, I’m sure the two of us could be fast friends. I did actually sympathise with the plight through which she felt ‘afflicted’. I too have experienced spells of verbosity (not to mention other manifestations) that are deeply lamented at a later date but I was heartened to read that its definitely not just me who has these moments of idiocy. You know its amazing really, I’ve a size eight mouth and size ten feet but they still fit like a charm.

Anyway, I happened to read this entry shortly before learning about the 'Singleringen' and realised that its really not just your average Joe who has the market cornered on introducing stupidity into society. No, some enterprising Swedes are responsible for this one. In an effort to make being single cool, they have marketed a ring that supposedly enables the wearer to proclaim that they are single and proud. Apparently this does not mean that the wearer is not interested in a relationship, but merely that they are not looking for one. Or perhaps its not that they are not looking, but rather that they will be ok if they don’t find one. Although it would be nice of course and the fact that they are wearing the ring and have registered as a single helpfully points out that they are in fact available…

I know I’m cynical but I have to say, this really seems to be more of a dating gimmick than a statement about being proud to be single. And for those who do remain single in spite of their search, a way for them to feel better about it. You don’t have a wedding ring yet but you can have the single ring now! Its not much of a consolation prize though. But maybe that’s a bit unreasonable. Around 20,000 people (admittedly this is mostly women) in 17 countries have already purchased the ring. This indicates that being single is in fact a real issue for some when it shouldn’t be. So why not start a movement and create an army of the unattached to combat the negative image of no life partner? They may have a few more hurdles to get over first however. I can think of much better things to spend my money on.

And in other completely unrelated news of the somewhat ludicrous sort, I also came across an article from January stating that a religious edict issued by Rashad Hassan Khalil has uncovered a rift amongst Islamic scholars. Apparently this guy is of the expressed opinion that nudity during intercourse invalidates marriage. Which then prompts me to ask several questions including ‘Huh?’, and ‘Is this guy actually married himself?’. I have seen a few facetious comments in response to the fatwa saying that wearing socks would take care of the issue (and one reply to advise that the act of wearing nothing but socks nullifies all chances of engaging in sex in the first place) but as my friend the Married Lady would say, getting naked is half the fun.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home