Down The Aisle...

A singluar focus on my life in Sydney. I was "single", then I became "engaged" and now I'm married - but thats another story...

Monday, April 03, 2006

Sydney Princess


Well after attending a women’s conference last week, I can now categorically tell you that I am risen, empowered and beautiful to the core. I can also tell you that I’m somewhat more relaxed than I used to be. Once upon a time I was what my friend Naughty M, affectionately called the Cupboard Door Nazi. It used to drive me absolutely spare when I would walk into my kitchen to find cupboard doors and drawers left open when I knew nobody was home. After returning home from three nights away at the conference however to find a bomb had pretty much hit my kitchen, and blasted a few doors open to boot, I was just like - that’ll be a bugger to set to rights tomorrow, hope I don’t have to do it.

So yes, I have learned that I am a ‘warrior daughter princess’ but methinks I am a bit less of the ‘princess’ than I used to be. Which on the whole I am quite happy about really. I know that the ‘princess’ message of the conference and the ‘Sydney Princess’ label which seems to be thrown about with great fervour in some circles, are not even remotely related. I also know that those who have recently referred to me as one of those ‘Sydney’ girls were actually trying to compliment me (I think) and were not calling me a ‘princess’ but I have heard enough about the Sydney Princesses in the past month or so to know that I definitely don’t want to be one.

I was going to say here that I wouldn’t even know how to be one but then that just got me thinking. As you do. What is it about these girls that makes them one of those girls? Is it the total lack of consideration for anyone but themselves? Do you just grow up that way or is there like some rule book floating around? Maybe containing something along the lines of On the subject of men, never go after them. This behaviour merely prevents them chasing you, distracts your attention from anything better that might come along and suggests that you are the one who has to work to win them. Never tax your brain unduly. It creates facial lines and magnifies the need for botox later in life. Only chase a man when it enables you to gain victory over a rival...

You think? Maybe not. But now that I think on it some more, maybe even if you did actually figure out what it is to become one of these girls, it would just take too much hard work to even bother, that is assuming you even wanted to. It almost sounds like a contradiction in terms but I think it would take an awful lot of effort to become that self absorbed. Ok, yes, I can be plenty self absorbed myself at times so people in glass houses really shouldn’t throw stones and all that but hopefully I’m never that bad. If I was then I might not be able to laugh at myself anymore and that would be a bit sad. My sister tells me I do and say plenty of silly things that she finds terribly amusing so I wouldn’t want to miss out. And if I get around to writing about it here, well then everyone else could join in too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home