Down The Aisle...

A singluar focus on my life in Sydney. I was "single", then I became "engaged" and now I'm married - but thats another story...

Thursday, April 20, 2006

The Working Girl


Can I just say that those little earpiece / headset telephone things are really cool? I managed to swipe one off another desk at work recently and all of a sudden, I’m feeling that little bit more professional. My communication style has just been bumped up a notch as the business language now flows from my mouth as freely as both my hands can fly over the keyboard. I could have used one of these six months ago of course when I was spending upwards of an hour at a time on hold, but right now, my neck is thanking me for not having to hold my head at a forty-five degree angle constantly. This looks stupid and its uncomfortable. It’s the little things in life – you know?

And this is just one of the things in my working environment that makes me smile. Another would have to be the fascination one or two people have with my single state. I think my entire office (or at least about one hundred of them) found it terribly amusing that I participated in the Sydney Morning Herald’s Kiss And Tell feature last year. Since then, I will occasionally get check ups on whether I’ve found a man yet and inevitably encouragement assuring me that I’ll get there one day and it’ll be worth it when I do. It cracks me up sometimes but it is actually nice to know they care. One colleague in particular always has something positive to say too. I don’t really have the heart to say I’m not looking right now.

It also seemed to be somewhat of a let down when I told someone what my plans were for a long weekend away. It was apparently rather exciting that I was going to be STAYING WITH A MAN for a few days but rather unfortunate that it wasn’t for the express purpose of getting up to something I couldn’t repeat in polite company later. At first I wasn’t quite sure what to think about this but I am choosing to be more amused by the reaction than concerned that I may be appearing – for want of a much better word – desperate. Do I look desperate? You probably can’t answer that. Do I sound desperate? Maybe I don’t want you to answer that. I really think I’m ok right at the moment though.

I’m just chilling here. I still think about dating stuff so I can hopefully come up with something to write, but I’m not obsessed by it. For the most part, I just enjoy learning new things and finding a way to express them I think. And that has brought to mind another thing. A few people at work have repeatedly shown interest in reading this blog recently. Not quite sure why. I have managed to palm them off so far however. It is of course ridiculous to think that I can control who does and does not read this but I can choose to whom I actually do give out the address. I just think that there are some things in my life that I don’t need to bring to work – even if it ends up there in the end anyway.

1 Comments:

At 7:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ooh I love those headset thing-a-me-bobies. The only thing good about a handset is the slight feeling of control you get when your able to slam it down after another annoying gets-you-nowhere conversations.. kinda like the flip phone mobiles.. which I wish I had but noooo..
Im sure you could come up with other exciting ways of ending calls with the headset though.. if you cant tell I am procrastinating right now.. well I am.. why else would I even be awake at such an unGodly hour of 7:44am?

oh yes.. and the reason for my 'comment' wasnt really to point out the upside to using a handset but rather to put your mind at ease.. I dont think you look desperate.. or sound desperate.. yess.. I know what you look like. Heeee.. Im stalking you. No not really.. Unless of course, you'd like a stalker. but that would just be weird.. cos I am female.. and related to you.. so that just wouldnt work. and I suppose thats also the reason it probably doesnt help you much in my saying that your not desperate cos I have to nice.. but really.. Im not always nice, especially to those I am related to, you should know that. So today, I am being nice. Your not desperate. Although, it would probably be better if you got a non-related male opinion, just to keep your mind at ease.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home