Down The Aisle...

A singluar focus on my life in Sydney. I was "single", then I became "engaged" and now I'm married - but thats another story...

Thursday, June 15, 2006

Engaging Company


Well it seems that love is in the air over my side of town. Or maybe its in the water because wherever it is, it would appear to be all around me even though I’m not receiving any of it (my new years resolution to drink more water definitely fell by the wayside somewhere). That did not stop me getting excited however by the news that was awaiting me when I got home the other Sunday night. I walked into my house at about 10:30pm to find a celebration going on in honour of one of my five housemates and his friend whom I also know, albeit not well. There was a congregation of men in my living room who had all come together to consume red wine and toast the fact that both The Schoolteacher and ET Boy had happened to get engaged the night before. So of course I joined in.

Oddly enough, both the proposals were planned out in advance prior to knowledge that they would be delivered on the same day and were given to two women who actually happen to live together. Both proposals were apparently delivered on the beach as well (not the same one though) and everything obviously turned out positively. Each couple is now all smiles and I couldn’t be happier for them all. I did think it was amusing though when the comment was made that both the girls were able to act as a decoy for the other and that they are all now going to be able to save a fortune on bridal magazines. That’s rather convenient all round really.

So far from any of the sentiments possibly offered on June 2nd, the following day was obviously about staying together as opposed to apart. And just in case you didn’t know (I must admit, I didn’t have a clue either until I read it somewhere earlier in the week), June 2nd was National Breakup Day. A seemingly kitsch gimmick that has more to do with the release of the movie The Break Up than any real need for such a day I think. It does however have its own website. Some people really do have way too much time on their hands. But in case there is ever a need, there are sites for absolutely everything these days.

As previously mentioned, there are sites that can break up for you, there are other sites that allow you to dump all your emotional baggage and (although it may not be much use in Australia) there are sites like Don’t Date Him Girl. A site where women get to vent all their hurt and anger over cheating boyfriends, and at the same time warn other women against making the same mistake they did. You can even post a picture. Now personally I think this is a bit ridiculous. I don’t condone cheating at all but there are two sides to every story and well, I am reminded of the saying that everytime you point the finger, there are three more pointing back at you. You should be careful what you publish on the net.

But back to a more pleasing note. At least four people in my social circle are now looking forward to getting married and starting a life together. And I in turn am really happy for them. Its great to see people who are excited about being together and I wish them all the best for the future. I just thought I’d share that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home