Down The Aisle...

A singluar focus on my life in Sydney. I was "single", then I became "engaged" and now I'm married - but thats another story...

Friday, July 01, 2005

Practice Makes Perfect

They do say that practice makes perfect but I heard about a guy having a ‘practice date’ the other night and I’m not quite sure how I feel about that. I mean practicing skills, technique or ability with someone willing is fine I guess. It does seem a little odd but whatever gets you there in the end I suppose. Using someone as practice however, does leave something to be desired. At least for the person who has been deemed the practice model.

I mean its not exactly flattering is it? Hello, I like you but not that much. You might be there with an open mind, asking yourself to consider the possibilities with someone, but you’re not aware that they’ve already decided. Before they went out with you. There seem to be a number of guys out there trying to tell women that all men are in fact not bastards but then we watch reality tv and hear stories like this and we wonder who’s fooling who?

Of course, one could argue that what you see and hear will often be somewhat sensationalist, as tales of morality and monogamy etc, frequently seem to fall under the heading of monotony. One could also say that there is a pretty prevalent impression of women in general being fickle and bitchy, which is not entirely without cause to some extent really, despite most of us saying we’re not as bad as we’re made out to be. So I’m not trying to say here that all women are hardly done by and its just not fair, but a practice date? Well, that is unfair actually.

Having said that though, I also know that a lot of relationships start out with the participants unconvinced of any real future but at the same time, unwilling to break away. I once asked a good friend how their first real date went and they replied, well, they’re nice but I dunno, they’re not the one or anything. The two are now living together quite happily as a defacto couple. So it is entirely possible that something can grow unexpectedly but it does help if you haven’t already decided it wont.

So what am I saying here? Well I guess I’m all for people getting out and having a go. I do think you need to learn how to be with someone. I think it is only a lucky few who fall into a relationship and experience smooth sailing but being in a relationship is not about purely thinking for yourself. The thing is that there is actually another person there too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home