Down The Aisle...

A singluar focus on my life in Sydney. I was "single", then I became "engaged" and now I'm married - but thats another story...

Friday, February 24, 2006

Football Naked


For some people, leaving the house without their mobile phone will leave them feeling somewhat bereft. For other people however, arriving somewhere without the appropriate accoutrements will leave them feeling what one could only describe as naked. When attending a sporting match for example, many fans will demonstrate both their affiliation and support for the side they favour by wearing all the trappings associated with the team. Those unfortunate enough to forget their code paraphernalia however, are left in a sorry state indeed. They are as my friend would say, football naked.

This concept that is possibly new for some, is one of which I think people in the dating game may just want to remain aware. I say this because in my experience, being the opposite of football naked can be a great way to meet the opposite sex. Admittedly its probably easier for girls to meet guys but it does work the other way as well. And as misleading as the term may sound whilst accompanied by the picture above this post, to be football naked does not actually mean literally naked, or even figuratively for that matter, but rather unadorned by recognised merchandise.

Now a lot of experts maintain that the best way to meet a partner is to find a way of being around like-minded individuals. If you loathe sports with a passion or would never consider someone who voluntarily watched them, then turning up to a bar or a match wearing a football jersey would not be the way to go. If on the other hand, you do enjoy a bit of sport then showing your support may attract some positive attention. You may also be able to strike up a conversation. That is of course assuming that you’re not hanging around the rival camp with avid fans cause then you could be striking up something else entirely. There is just something about sport.

It is a widely acknowledged stereotype that men in Australia are completely obsessed with the phenomenon. It is also an acknowledged stereotype that women are not. I am aware that there are many guys out there who couldn’t give a toss about who was on top of the tables just as there are women who can wax lyrical on the topic but sport is about more than who is winning. Sports are about competition, camaraderie, membership and just getting up and having a go. Regardless of whether you know the intricate ins and outs of whatever sport you follow, many people find that interest attractive. Making that interest obvious can also give you the icebreaker you might need.

It is common practice for my friends to bring a football along to any live game they go and watch. This ball has also on occasion followed us to the pub afterwards and rather than being a burden, has actually gotten people chatting. My female friends wearing scarves or shirts have been the ones asked for final scores rather than males within the group and a cap, has previously attracted attention at the bar. I have recently read a forum on women versus sport whereby both sexes complained about how much males should or should not be watching (sport that is) but from my experience I’d have to say the two can co-exist nicely. So when I go out to a game, I don’t go football naked and when I go out afterwards, I don’t change first.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home